​Los Angeles

West Hills, Woodland Hills, Canoga Park
What is a Conservatorship?  A Conservatorship is a legally created relationship where an adult (usually a parent or a child ) is given the legal authority and responsibility to care for another adult authorized by a court.   The attorneys at Sirkin Law Group, have helped establish Los Angeles Conservatorships for over 25 years, and can assist you with the conservatorship process in Los Angeles County.   We are local and serve all families in the San Fernando Valley areas, including West Hills and Canoga Park.

Typical Clients:

  • Children who are looking to conserve their elderly or aging parent(s).
  • Parents who are looking to conserve a disabled child or a special needs child. 

Types of Conservatorship:

Conservatorships are created in the Los Angeles County probate court and have three basic types:

1) Conservatorship of the person; 2) Conservatorship of the Estate; and 3) Conservatorship of person and estate. 

There are large categories of types of Conservatorship matters also available, such as LPS Conservatorships (mental health) and Developmentally Disabled (Limited) Conservatorships.


Generally, spouses, parents, children, relatives, friends, the public guardian, and professional fiduciaries can file for conservatorships.   Spouses are given priority over others.   A parent can file for conservatorship of a child.  A child may also file to conserve his or her parent.

If there are several persons who have filed, the case then is litigated.  These situations many times includes competing petitions for conservatorship requesting that each petitioner becomes the conservator.  The court will will hold a hearing and decide who shall become the conservator.  This type of hearing can be short or a full trial.  Preference rules exist in California for making such a determination as to who has priority in appointments. Contested Conservatorship proceedings can take long and may result in trials.  


Generally, a creditor of the conservatee cannot become the conservator of the estate of the conservatee.   Also, if a spouse is involved in a divorce proceeding, the spouse does not get priority and the court looks to see if it is even in the best interest of the conservatee to appoint the spouse.  Also, if the Court orders a bond and the petitioner is not bondable, and the nature of the assets do not allow for a blocked account, then petitioner cannot become the conservator.  

In situations like the above, a private professional fiduciary is most often the best-suited or most suitable alternative as a conservator, in contested cases.


A conservatorship is life long process, must continue until the court orders the conservator relieved from his or her duties. This can happen if the conservatee dies, if the estate is used up, or if the conservatee regains his or her capacity; or if the conservator becomes unable or unwilling to act. In the last situation, the court will assign a successor conservator.     If the Conservator dies, the Conservator of the estate still remains until he/she finishes his/her accounting.

Conservatorships are time consuming and expensive. They should only be used when absolutely necessary.

Candidates for conservatorships are usually disabled or elderly.  Some conservatees may have Alzheimer's disease, dementia, Parkinson's, Huntington's disease, autism, or other diseases.   Once a Conservators is appointed, the Conservator can ask the Court for permission to do Medi-Cal planning for the Conservatee including substituted judgment petitions to protect the assets from Medi-Cal, and to purchase or sell property of the Conservatee.


Conservatorship proceedings and actions of conservators are court supervised.   The Court usually requires the Conservator to post a conservatorship bond before becoming a conservator of an estate.

Family members are given notice of the proceeding and financial records of the conservatee are summarized in an accounting filed with the court.   If the conservatee's residence is to be changed, parties will receive notice.

When a Conservatee needs psychiatric medications, the Court reviews a doctor's declaration regarding the need for the medication.    The ability of the Conservator to administer dementia medication depends on the court's approval of administering such medication.

When a Conservator wants to sell real property or purchase real property, the court must give permission for such a transaction, especially when it involves moving the Conservatee from his or her home.

A PVP attorney or a court appointed attorney is sometimes appointed for the Conservatee.  The role of this type of attorney is to advocate the wishes of the proposed conservatee when there is litigation, or when rights of the Conservatee are affected.

California Conservatorship Process:

Conservatorship proceedings usually start when a person is so incapacitated that he or she cannot manage his/her own affairs. The person who is the caretaker is called the conservator, and the person who is being taken care of is called the conservatee.  Caregivers and Conservators can be different people.  A conservator can hire caregivers and does not have to do caregiving.

The conservatorship proceeding begins with a petition filed with the court, followed by an investigation by a court investigator and a court hearing. Many factors can affect a conservatorship. For example, if the conservatee objects to the conservator's appointment, he or she may object and the court will assign counsel for the conservatee for that purpose.

A conservator of the estate is required to provide accountings that give details of the conservatee's assets, income and expenses, showing exactly how the conservatee's money was spent. Additionally, the court will require that the conservator of the estate to post a bond. The conservator is paid by the conservatee's estate and the court supervises the reasonableness of the payments to the conservator.

Are Power of Attorney Documents Good Alternatives to Conservatorships, and Are They Appropriate or Available?

While a valid power of attorney document can authorize the power of attorney holder to accomplish certain tasks of a conservator, a power of attorney cannot prevent the ill person from contracting, conveying property or marrying. For example, a patient with Alzheimer's disease may become subject to fraud or undue influence by unscrupulous persons.  

While he or she could have given a valid power of attorney while he or she was well, he or she may be befriended, may marry, and convey his or her property to a new spouse. In that situation, the probate code provides that a conservatorship may be established, and the conservator may ask the court to set aside any contract entered into by the ill conservatee.  Second and third marriages are common in California.  The right to marry is one that the Conservatee retains unless the court terminates it with an order.

The advantage of the conservatorship is that it can safeguard against fraud or undue influence by a third party against the ill person.   Conservatorships can get costly when there is litigation involved.  Persons filing for conservatorship should consider the costs before filing.

What is a Contested Conservatorship or Conservatorship Litigation matter?

Contested Conservatorship (competing conservatorship petitions) and conservatorship litigation can involve any of the following situations:

1. Objections to the initial appointment of a particular person as a conservator.

2. Removal of a Conservator for cause.

3. Actions requesting appointment of a successor conservator to which others object.

4. Disputes involving contested conservatorship accountings.  These include formal objections to accounting by the conservator.

5. Determination of a undue influence on an elderly or disabled person.    Elder abuse actions can be brought in conservatorship cases.

6. Objections to Proposed Actions by Conservator including substituted judgment actions and trusts.

7. Family mediations in determining the best conservator.

8. Requests to terminate a conservatorship or modify powers in a conservatorship.

9. Determination of rights to assets and disputes relating to ownership and title.

10. Conservatorship trials.

 The majority of our referrals come from other attorneys, and we give referrals to other conservatorship lawyers who are no in our area.  Ask us for a referral to conservatorship attorneys in your desired area, and for referrals to private professional fiduciaries about conservatorships and elder care. Our attorneys handle West Hills and Canoga Park Conservatorships.  Call our lawyers at 818-340-4479 for more information on conservatorship, contested conservatorship, or conservatorship litigation matters in West hills Ca.